Knowing how much pet food costs is more than looking at the price on the bag; the feeding guidelines are a key factor in making your buying decision.
Here is an easy example: Brand A and B have the same cups of kibble per bag, but Brand A is half the price of Brand B. If Brand A however requires twice the amount of kibble based on the feeding guidelines, then the 2 bags are in actuality the same price.
Breaking down how much it costs per day to feed your pet is a valuable tool as it often demonstrates that you can feed your pet better quality food for the same price or even less!!
Below is the formula to determine the daily cost of feeding your dog (based on a lower energy 50lb dog):
Step 1 – Calculate cups per bag
You need to look at the feeding guidelines and find the kcal/Kg and the kcal/cup. This will help you establish how many cups are in your bag.
For Example: Orijen Original has 3900kcal/kg and 470 kcal/cup.
3900/470 = 8.3 cups/kg
Multiply the cups/kg you just calculated by the bag size.
For Example Orijen Original 8.3 cups x 11.4kg = 95 cups
Step 2 – Calculate cost per cup
Cost of Bag divided by Cups per Bag (from Step 1) = Cost per cup
For Example: Orijen Original $ 87.99 / 95 cups = $0.93 per cup
Step 3 – Calculate Cost per Day
Cost of Cup (from step 2) multiplied by the recommended daily serving = Cost per day
For Example: Orijen Original Based on a 50lb dog less active dog
$0.93 x 1.51 cups per day = $1.41 per day for a high quality Canadian made pet food that never had a recall.
For dogs of different weights use the feeding recommendations and redo the formula.
You may find that what we carry is actually less expensive and has superior ingredients and quality. Here are some daily costs for other high quality, Canadian made, pet food we carry (again based on a 50lb dog):
- Mountain Dog Chicken Veg & Fruit 19.2 lb Case = $1.82 per day
- Mountain Dog Protein Balanced Chicken 19.2 lb Case = $1.93 per day
- Mountain Dog Turkey Veg & Fruit 19.2 lb Case = $2.19 per day
- Mountain Dog Protein Balanced Turkey 19.2lb Case = $2.29 per day
Other raw selections available, including more from Mountain Dog, Naturawls and Perfectly Raw.
Dehydrated Raw (benefits of raw with the convenience of kibble)
- Smack Pet Food 5.5 lb bag = $4.40 – $6.00 per day
Kibble Grain Free
- Orijen 25 lb Bag = $1.41 to $2.09 per day
- Pulsar Chicken 25lb bag = $1.16 per day
- Acana Regionals 25 lb bag = $1.29 – $1.35 per day
- Taiga Chicken 35lb bag – $1.02 per day
- Acana Classics 37.5 lb Bag = $0.88 – $1.04 per day
- Canadian Naturals Chicken & Brown Rice 30lb bag = $0.61 per day
Contact us and we will gladly do an exact cost and ingredient comparison to what you feed your dog (we will need cost of bag, cups per bag, your dogs weight and age and daily feeding amount).
Note – Its important to also consider the ingredients, where those ingredients come from, the cooking or packaging process and the reputation of the company to get a complete picture of the value of the pet food.